South Jordan, Utah – Rio Tinto Kennecott announced Oct. 11 that a member of the Kennecott family has passed away as a result of sulfur dioxide exposure at the company’s smelter.

The incident took place in the early hours of October 8 when the employee was performing regular work duties to remove debris from a boiler and was exposed to sulfur dioxide gases. The employee was treated onsite by emergency responders and then taken to a nearby medical center for further evaluation and treatment. The employee passed away last night.

Kennecott Managing Director Marc Cameron said, “We are deeply saddened by this tragedy, and our hearts go out to our colleague’s family at this difficult time. We have lost a valuable employee and dear friend, and this incident will have a lasting impact on all of us.”

Kennecott is providing employee assistance to employees across the business and has initiated an investigation into the incident.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments