Apartment fire started with stovetop scent oils

2013-04-09T02:30:00Z Apartment fire started with stovetop scent oilsBy CALEY COOK — ccook@elkodaily.com Elko Daily Free Press

ELKO — A fire that caused minor damage to a kitchen in an apartment at Quail Run started when scent oils were overheated on a stove and ignited around 7 p.m. Saturday, said Fire Chief Matt Griego.

Smoke was coming from the apartment when fire crews arrived but the flames were already extinguished, Griego said.

The resident who put the flames out was a teenager who was alone in the home when the fire started. Her mother was out running an errand, Griego said.

The family was in the process of moving and had packed up the warming device usually used with the scent oils. They tried to heat them on the stove in a pot instead but they overheated, Griego said.

The teenager grabbed a fire extinguisher and put the fire out almost immediately, Griego said.

“It pays off to know how to use a fire extinguisher and where it is,” Griego said.

The fire caused damage to a microwave oven in the kitchen, Griego said. No one was injured.

Copyright 2015 Elko Daily Free Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick