HOUSE FIRE

Tobacco pipe ash starts house fire

2013-04-09T02:30:00Z Tobacco pipe ash starts house fireBy CALEY COOK -— ccook@elkodaily.com Elko Daily Free Press

ELKO — A fire caused extensive damage to the front of a home on Freeport Avenue Sunday night after a resident discarded his tobacco pipe ashes near bushes in front of his house, said Fire Chief Matt Griego.

The juniper-type bushes in the front yard are especially apt to catch fire, Griego said, and the flames burned the front siding of the house as well as parts of the garage and attic around 10 p.m.

Firefighters had to strip the house’s vinyl siding and some of its sheetrock to check for heat in different parts of the building, Griego said, and some of it was still sitting in the front yard of the home Monday afternoon.

The resident called the fire department after he was unable to extinguish the flames himself, Griego said.

“Those juniper bushes really burn and it’s hard to get them out,” Griego said.

The hot fire also melted plastic and the mirrors on a vehicle in the driveway, Deputy Fire Chief Mike Hecht said.

The fire caused about $15,000 in damage to the home, Hecht said.

Copyright 2015 Elko Daily Free Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick