cow killing sentence

Man ordered to probation, restitution for killing cow

2013-12-02T18:00:00Z Man ordered to probation, restitution for killing cow Elko Daily Free Press
December 02, 2013 6:00 pm

ELKO — A young man involved in shooting a cow was sentenced Monday to probation and to pay more than $1,400 in restitution.

A Thorpe Creek Ranch Red Angus cow was found dead in March 2012 with a bullet hole through its neck and a large section of meat missing from its body.

In relation to the crime, Jayce J. Blevins pleaded guilty Aug. 26 to attempted unlawful killing of an animal belonging to another person — which can be recognized as a gross misdemeanor or a Category D felony.

The prosecution and defense agreed in the plea deal to recommend the judge give Blevins a gross misdemeanor if he paid about $1,450 in restitution.

Deputy District Attorney Tyler Ingram told the court Monday the restitution money was secured in a trust account.

On behalf of the state, Ingram didn’t make a specific sentencing recommendation, but asked District Judge Nancy Porter to consider the importance of cattle in this region.

“It was pretty obvious that this was a silly and senseless crime, and especially here in Elko County where livestock is a livelihood,” he said.

Porter scolded the defendant for destroying valuable property, but more so, she said, for likely causing the animal to suffer.

“I think you understand the economic impact of what you did,” Porter said. “… But there’s a little more to this too. This wasn’t just somebody’s property. This was a living thing. And what you did, I think, was cruel.”

Porter said she didn’t take the killing lightly.

Blevins told the court he took full responsibility for the crime.

“What I did was wrong,” he said. “I’m doing everything I can to continue on the straight and narrow.”

Blevins guaranteed the judge would never see him in court again.

Porter sentenced Blevins to six months in jail, suspended for 36 months probation, to pay restitution and other court fees, and abstain from alcohol.

She said his youth — Blevins will turn 22 next month — factored into her decision to not give the defendant a felony sentence.

Later, while looking for a cellphone, the pair returned and saw the cow was still alive and decided to kill it. Then they cleaved a section of meat from its hind quarter.

A group of Great Basin College students were overheard talking about the crime by another student who called the cops, court documents state.

No charges were ever filed against Knotts.

Copyright 2015 Elko Daily Free Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(10) Comments

1. prvteye29
    prvteye29 - December 06, 2013 1:06 pm
    Maybe the reason behind not charging the other guy is because its hearsay. There is no proof, therefore they can not make a charge. I would seriously doubt its because he knows anybody. I have never heard of him?! As for the sentencing, I do agree it was very very lenient for a 21 year old, I have seen younger criminals pay harder for their crimes.
  2. Pearl Turner
    Pearl Turner - December 04, 2013 2:09 pm
    One of the purposes of punishment is to deter others from engaging in criminal conduct? Do you think that sentences like this deter others? and what mystifies me is that criminals convicted of the crime are not required to compensate the taxpayers for the costs of their apprehension, incarceration, prosecution and any probation. Why do taxpayers pay 100% of this cost - why not require a criminal to reimburse the taxpayers for such costs? If they cannot pay, put them to work for the state or county doing something that is beneficial to our community?
  3. Pearl Turner
    Pearl Turner - December 03, 2013 9:02 am
    His youth is a consideration???? 21=youth???? A six year old knows right from wrong. A 21 year old should be granted leniency because of his youth????
  4. homey
    homey - December 03, 2013 8:32 am
    Pregnant cows are selling for $1500-2500 in today's markets.

"About $1450" must be just for the meat he carved out plus court costs.

Getting caught doesn't carry much downside.

5. MikeJr
    MikeJr - December 03, 2013 8:11 am
    Yeah I remember being that 15 year old.
  6. Michael Hunton
    Michael Hunton - December 03, 2013 6:16 am
    According to court documents, Blevins and a friend, Remington Knotts, went out shooting one night and ended up shooting a cow. The exact same crime, and nothing for the other guy Knotts must really know somebody? Naw, not in Elko. What am I thinking. Had nothing to do with the decision. Maybe some kind of out of court settlement?
  7. Michael Hunton
    Michael Hunton - December 03, 2013 6:02 am
    Well, I seem to remember a 15 year old who had to do more than that for the same crime. A 17 year old who went to NYTC, and an 18 year old who went to the Nevada State Pen. I seem to remember the headlines well. Maybe just a case of who you know, who you are?

Naw, not in Elko.
  8. Mike Laughlin
    Mike Laughlin - December 03, 2013 12:46 am
    Amen to Peal Turners post - Justice was not served in Elko Co.!!! Judge Porter need to be replaced!!!
  9. Archer
    Archer - December 02, 2013 11:48 pm
    " pay restitution and other court fees..."

Mouth meet foot.
  10. Pearl Turner
    Pearl Turner - December 02, 2013 9:25 pm
    Proof that in Elko County, crime pays. Under the Court's reasoning, if I rob a bank and am not caught, I get to keep what I stole. If I am caught, all I have to do is return the money and I will suffer no adverse consequences. That taxpayer who pays for the sheriff, jail, prosecutor, probation officer and judge have paid a pretty penny for working on this case, yet Judge Porter
    does not require that any of this expense be reimbursed by the convicted criminal. Judge Porter is not serving the citizens of Elko very well, and should be replaced in the next election.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick