Mom arrested after toddler found wandering

2012-11-27T06:00:00Z Mom arrested after toddler found wanderingBy CALEY COOK — ccook@elkodaily.com Elko Daily Free Press
November 27, 2012 6:00 am  •

ELKO — Police arrived at the Gold County Inn & Casino Sunday after a toddler wandered to the front desk unsupervised, according to Elko Police reports.

Police arrested the toddler’s 19-year-old mother, Stephani K. Toyne, at the motel just before 5 p.m. on charges of child abuse and neglect.

Toyne went to sleep and left her nearly 2-year-old son to wander the grounds of the hotel where they live, said Elko Police Capt. Will Lehmann. The boy was near busy Idaho Street when he was found.

Police interacted with Toyne last week after a similar incident.

“She left her toddler wandering about in freezing weather and he made it to the Gold County front desk,” Lehmann said. “She isn’t watching her child.”

Toyne was also charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana. Her bail was listed at $2,737.

Copyright 2015 Elko Daily Free Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(20) Comments

1. LoveMySon
    LoveMySon - April 16, 2013 5:16 am
    I've something to say: I'm not a drug addict or "white trash" meth head. I do not use drugs nor was I on anything. I am not a bad mother; I love my son and he is my world. You don't know me; don't judge me. You should realize the impact of your words: Mommy of the Year? My child is safe. That night was the worst night of my life. We all make mistakes and I still- have to live with that night. I made the mistake of trusting my husband in his
  2. tricky0ff
    tricky0ff - December 13, 2012 5:00 pm
    I didn't think I would have to explain myself further than I did in my comment without getting a snide retort but I guess I overestimated the audience
  3. tricky0ff
    tricky0ff - December 13, 2012 4:57 pm
    Here's the deal, if you read my comment below I think what happened here and what is happening all over this world to small children is hands down the worst thing about the human race. That said, what Proud said was not factually or geographically accurate and therefore amounts to gossip. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just saying if it was the High Desert then it probably wasn't the same woman. And yes, it is disturbing that it could be another child with another drug addict parent.
  4. tricky0ff
    tricky0ff - December 12, 2012 10:51 am
    and?
  5. veritas
    veritas - December 08, 2012 8:17 am
    Seriously, that's what you're going with? The comment is geographically incorrect? This is a story about the dangerous situation of unsupervised children (babies) and the probable cause and effect. ProudCarlinite points out that there are even more in harm's way than what is being reported in this paper, or probably even reported at all to LE or anyone else.
  6. tricky0ff
    tricky0ff - December 07, 2012 9:09 am
    Geographically, your comment makes no sense. It must have been the High Desert you saw her in front of. One would not have to cross Idaho street to get to Albertson's from Gold Country.
  7. ProudCarlinite
    ProudCarlinite - December 06, 2012 5:54 pm
    Approximately a week before this article appeared in the paper, my husband and I were driving east past Albertsons on Idaho Street when we noticed a little girl approximately 3 to 4 years old on the side walk in front of Gold Country and she was ready to attempt to cross Idaho Street towards Albertsons. The truck in front of us pulled into the parking lot and rushed to rescue her. We stopped in front of her and diverted her attention until he could get to her. Is she part of the same family?
  8. NVDSL
    NVDSL - December 06, 2012 3:19 pm
    Mom's high and dad's a dead beat= kid left outside in the cold. It's not suprising based on the parents past that this would occur to a child left in their supervision. No ones a perfect parent but no one would be on this women's side if her child had been found dead and frozen or even kidnapped and killed. Think about what could have happened and yes make her responsible for being a drug addict and a bad mother. I hope DCFS gets a few more calls like this so the kid can grow up in a good home.
  9. Cubs Fan
    Cubs Fan - December 02, 2012 1:53 pm
    You are so right SMRTGUY. I believe we should nominate Ms. Toyne for a "Mommy of the Year" award. In reality that poor child is in for a rough life if this is how it's starting. Maybe the child should be placed with another family member or loving family so the youngster has a fighting chance. Of course I'm sure the parents will produce another child that can be on the dole forever. God Bless America.
  10. ninja chick
    ninja chick - November 30, 2012 10:06 pm
    I work in a casino and you know how many "white trash" metheads I see in there every night ?? Way more than people from the Elko Colony!
  11. JDMO
    JDMO - November 29, 2012 9:25 pm
    Actually you're the one that read the "racist" into the comment. Then again, its a typically leftist knee-jerk response to use race as a non sequitur as an end-all to most things you & your ilk don't agree with. How's this genius: I hope the girl pulls her head out, regardless of race, creed, color or gender; for the kids sake, & doesn't make any more kids until she does. Its not fair to the kid(s). That said, until people can make "lucid" decisions, you want them to vote in you're behalf?
  12. PATRIOT II
    PATRIOT II - November 29, 2012 8:17 pm
    Happening all over !!! bull. Most people have at least enough class to watch out for their young. It is not happening all over. Just where we have bred a culture of trash. welfare and drugs accomplish that.
  13. tricky0ff
    tricky0ff - November 29, 2012 9:01 am
    I would never claim to be a perfect mother but sheesh you don't have to be a perfect parent to make sure your TWO YEAR OLD baby is safe and warm and sheltered with you. How hard would it have been to for her to put down the pipe and put the lock on the door so the baby couldn't get out? Not rocket science.
  14. SMRTGUY
    SMRTGUY - November 28, 2012 10:26 pm
    Well believe it gurlfren welcome to the real world and i suppose you are just the perfect mommy huh?
  15. SMRTGUY
    SMRTGUY - November 28, 2012 10:25 pm
    And so what does that mean? Breeding? Voting? Oh are you just another racist commentor like everybody else?
  16. SMRTGUY
    SMRTGUY - November 28, 2012 10:22 pm
    So what if she is from the EIC (elko indian colony) so am I? It doesnt matter where she is from this is happening all over Elko and other places i feel sorry for all the kids that are being neglected or even killed. I guess all you commentors are the perfect parents right? Yeah sure....
  17. JDMO
    JDMO - November 28, 2012 9:37 pm
    ...and they keep breeding and voting.
  18. Mommy_09
    Mommy_09 - November 28, 2012 8:23 pm
    I can't believe a mother would do things like this.. Completely stupid person. That's what she is..
  19. Mommy_09
    Mommy_09 - November 28, 2012 8:22 pm
    She is from Elko. The Indian Colony actually. Stupid people. That poor baby..,
  20. upnorth
    upnorth - November 28, 2012 10:33 am
    Please do the town of Elko, and Elko County a favor and go back to where you came from before you moved into the hotel. Hopefully it wasn't Spring Creek.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Businesses