Two questions for pro-choice people

2012-01-24T19:38:00Z 2012-01-29T18:34:56Z Two questions for pro-choice people Elko Daily Free Press
January 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Editor: On the recent anniversary of Roe vs. Wade our President gave a speech in which he made the statement, “And as we remember this historic anniversary, we must also continue our efforts to ensure that our daughters have the same rights, freedoms, and opportunities as our sons to fulfill their dreams.”

I’m curious. Who else besides that inconvenient baby does our President believe we need to “continue our efforts to ensure” doesn’t get in the way of gender equality? Husbands? Teachers? God?

China has developed their perverse answer. The UN’s World Health Organization estimates that from 100 to 160 million abortions have been performed in China based solely on gender selection. Killing the girls so they might have a boy.

I have two questions for those who support a woman’s right to choose. Do you oppose gender-based abortion choice? I’m going to assume that the answer to this is yes. The second question is the more enlightening one. If you do oppose this, on what principal do you do so?

Fifty million dead in the name of rights, freedoms and opportunities. Fifty million dead in the name of gender equality. Fifty million dead in the name of convenience. Fifty million. It’s a disgrace that makes God cry.

Darryl Boyd

Spring Creek

Copyright 2015 Elko Daily Free Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(38) Comments

1. PATRIOT II
    PATRIOT II - February 02, 2012 8:09 pm
    Explain to me where in the US constitution it gives the federal gov. the right to make a law concerning abortion. It is a state issue. Some of you really need to read the constitution. Benchwarmer, I am an old man that is married to an old woman. I would rather find a baby on my door step than have one murdered. Funny how easy it is to abort an inocent baby but is so hard to execute some scum bucket killer. We live in a confusing world.
  2. Benchwarmer
    Benchwarmer - February 02, 2012 11:53 am
    cont. or the pain of the father leaving you. So many people bring children into the world that they clearly can't afford, so many people live off of Welfare and abuse it. And we pay for it. Orphanages are overrun, kids get abandoned or live in abusive homes because they're unwanted. I'd much rather have abortion be an open option rather than finding some abandoned baby on my doorstep.
  3. Benchwarmer
    Benchwarmer - February 02, 2012 11:50 am
    First I wanted to start out by saying you shouldn't really compare the U.S to China, they're a different culture overran with people and no, they don't prefer girls. But wouldn't you rather have them abort it rather than abandon some baby girl on the front step of god knows where, where god knows who can find her?
    If you are a male, you shouldn't really throw your opinion down a womans throat. You will never have to carry a child, you will never have to go through the pain of birth, or the pain
  4. Choonzer
    Choonzer - January 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Nothing about RvW keeps anybody from using morality to guide their lives, and such a statement represents exactly the kind of circular thinking which pro-lifers often exhibit. RvW ensures that each woman is free to be guided by her own moral compass--not somebody else's. In fact, it makes the decision entirely moral, unencumbered by issues of safety and law.
  5. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 27, 2012 2:20 pm
    lie #1 Lie #2 Lie #3 Lie #4

Come on man, stop the hate. Your hurting my feelings.
  6. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 27, 2012 12:41 pm
    "... personal decisions based on what the government tells them to do."

In the sense of who, what, where and when, it’s axiomatic that a woman will decide to abort or not, in her own time and place. That's news of the obvious. What speaks louder is that "right to choose" deviously avoids “why” and "how". Those involve morality and are decidedly not axiomatic. “right to choose” demands morality play no role in guiding our lives and RvW codified it. Now that's legislating morality - out.
  7. Choonzer
    Choonzer - January 26, 2012 5:20 pm
    First off, you're a brave man to go shooting with Cheney. Secondly, our nation is full of people every day who choose things which are morally reprehensible to others--some legal, some not. Your example may seem extreme in your mind, and perhaps the minds of many, but the practical question is, so what? We're not talking about seatbelt laws here. Americans don't make highly important and personal decisions based on what the government tells them to do. You might as well try to outlaw sex.
  8. RoboGod
    RoboGod - January 26, 2012 4:05 pm
    DEBOYD:
    “Your god is you.” Lie #1
    “Your casual dismissal of a baby as FETUS”. Lie #2 … It IS a FETUS (and an embryo before that).
    “This isn’t a screenplay with God as the director.” Your words, not mine. Proof please!
    “Men kill men, not God.” Lie #3 (if referring to the sociopathic god of the Old Testament – that god was extra bloodthirsty!)
    “Trust me …” Thanks, but no thanks.
    “Trust me, nobody worships your god.” Lie # 4.
    DEBOYD: I will pray for you and other lovers of Big Brother.
  9. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 26, 2012 2:05 pm
    Ok, all talking points have been made so it's time to cut to the chase. As the author asks, Do you support abortion of girls till you have a boy? If not, why not? That "why" is what's important if you frame the issue as one of choice. It forces one admit that some choices aren't acceptible. If they aren't acceptible they have to be prohibited and that's the process Roe V Wade short circuted.

OK, me and Dick are going to go shoot some skeet now. Wish me luck.
  10. h077ie
    h077ie - January 26, 2012 1:50 pm
    2 answers: 1st abortion is legal because abortions are going to happen regadless of the law. Before they were legal in all 50 states, or worldwide, millions of women died of unsanitary and illegal abortions. 2nd unwanted babies lead to criminals from not being brought up in a loving home. Not enough room to explain but basically watch Freakonomics.I find the correlation in the fall of crime from the 80's to Roe v Wade PROFOUNDLY interesting. Especially considering Romania's antiabortion/crime.
  11. Choonzer
    Choonzer - January 26, 2012 1:15 pm
    Unwanted children are killed before and after birth all over the world. It's tragic but expected when they're so easy and fun to conceive (generally), but so difficult to provide for. Abortion, rehab centers, diet products--these things will always be needed because sex, drugs, and junk food all make us feel good. That stuff cannot be successfully legislated against. The only realistic way to approach it is with prevention, education, and harm-reduction efforts, as has been suggested here.
  12. Choonzer
    Choonzer - January 26, 2012 1:02 pm
    Darryl,
    An interesting letter, and good for generating discussion, if that's your aim. If your intent is to sway opinion, good luck with that. Most people are as staunch in their feelings about abortion as you are--hence the discussion.

You mention God crying over all the abortions. Why would God cry over aborted fetuses any more than he would cry over, say, earthquake or tsunami victims, or the many others who die from "acts of God"? For that matter, why would God cry over death in general?
  13. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 26, 2012 12:32 pm
    "Making abortions illegal will only raise the instances of back door abortions."

Cyndi, Perhaps so but not likely. It's not as if we are going to all wake up and find we are back in 1973 if RvW is repealed. Times change and so does abortion technology - legal or illegal. It only takes a pill now. In any event, since long before RvW, abortion was not a dangerous procedure. Only a microscopic percent of abortions before or since have been performed by anyone other than a physician.
  14. JRamone
    JRamone - January 26, 2012 11:19 am
    I just find it funny that the same people that throw a fit over welfare and their tax dollars being spent, are the same people that are all for bringing more welfare cases into the world. Abortion is and should always be a matter of choice. There are definitely certain circumstances under which I would seek an abortion. Just think of all the tax dollars being saved from women having these abortions.
  15. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 26, 2012 8:03 am
    Cindy, you make good points. However few argue to make abortion completely illegal. And even the most strident pro-choice advocates quote the old saw about desiring abortion to be rare, safe and legal. Rare would allow the 1% of abortions for girls under 15. Rare would allow the 6% of abortions for the mother’s health. Rare would allow the 2% of abortions for rape, incest or deformity. Rare is not the other 90% that pro choice currently demands and Roe v Wade enables. 50 million is not rare.
  16. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 26, 2012 7:54 am
    “My god informs me that my opinions are correct“

I don't think you appreciate how insightful that is. Your god is you. Your casual dismissal of a baby as FETUS is what happens when man decides to untether himself from authority outside his own desires. This isn’t a screenplay with God as the director. Men kill men, not God. Trust me, millions the world over petition God to end this madness every day. Trust me, nobody worships your god.
  17. RoboGod
    RoboGod - January 26, 2012 6:21 am
    DEBoyd: Please feel free to petition your favorite god to remedy this situation (abortions in the world). Please keep in mind, however, that god and/or Mother Nature is responsible for many more abortions (spontaneous abortions, aka miscarriages)than humankind. And let's not forget the thousands of children worldwide that starve to death daily. My god informs me that my opinions are correct ... perhaps you should find a new One True God, or at least have Dick Cheney start a new war for you.
  18. nam vet
    nam vet - January 26, 2012 6:21 am
    Shanaynay - I must agree - there are a lot of issues to be considered into this issue and much more than just abortion!
  19. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 25, 2012 9:05 pm
    Yes robogod, it’s a FETUS. Just saw one the other day in an ultrasound. Little fingers. Little toes. Cute nose. It’s been kicking up a storm inside my daughter-in-laws tummy for 8½ months now. Due in a couple days.

Do you really think that using FETUS as if it were some sort of slur dehumanizes what I saw enough to kill it? Maybe if you’d been there you’d see this runs much deeper than some simplistic Tea Party political talking points.
  20. Shanaynay
    Shanaynay - January 25, 2012 8:25 pm
    nam vet, I agree 100% with you, but you have to admit that anytime abortion is mentioned it is always about the woman that is what I take issue with. It IS a 2 to tango issue so when there is an ad or a discussion both parties should have it aimed at a couple not just one sex. Of course more people paying their child support might have a small impact, after all if one knew that they would get help via child support then maybe the abortion would never be mentioned, just a thought.
  21. Cyndi
    Cyndi - January 25, 2012 6:55 pm
    Making abortions illegal will only raise the instances of back door abortions. Please everyone do not fight over abortion, let's fight over access to birth control. I was pro-choice before I got pregnant with my son and after seeing images of aborted babies I could never do that BUT I feel that a women should be able to make the right decision. Hopefully with correct info a women would choose preventative measure in the first place.
  22. Cyndi
    Cyndi - January 25, 2012 6:48 pm
    Since my first comment was too long and I thought that my comment did not post I will restate my position. Promoting birth control for EVERYONE and CORRECT sex education is the solution to the problem of abortions. There will always be a need for an abortion, whether it is the 9yo in Brasil that was raped and was carrying twins or the mother that will die and leave her children childless. Abortion should not be used as birth control and that must be stopped.
  23. nam vet
    nam vet - January 25, 2012 4:36 pm
    Shanaynay - campaign to have men/boys to keep it in there pants - The last time I pondered that statement it DOES take two to tango - right - we can't do it all by ourselves. Maybe you should campaign on having the girls keep an aspirin between there knees?
  24. RoboGod
    RoboGod - January 25, 2012 3:52 pm
    DEBoyd: Your assumption is wrong. I support PRO-CHOICE rights regardless of the sex of the FETUS. No one has any right whatsoever in telling a woman what she can and cannot take out of her body. Get BIG GOVERNMENT and BIG RELIGION off of our backs! Long live freedom of religion ... for everyone, not just the religiously insane.
  25. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 25, 2012 3:48 pm
    If to some here me and God are going to be the genesis of all that's evil in the world I believe it’s only right to bring in the other leg of the triad – Dick Chaney. Note my new avatar.

As to growing up and sticking to ideas and argument instead of venom, that is good advice. With the exception of Cyndi and myself it's interesting how little of that there is here so far.

Anyway, I’ll be out in the garage torturing kittens till tomorrow. See you then.
  26. PATRIOT II
    PATRIOT II - January 25, 2012 3:43 pm
    So no one can tell anyone what they can do with their own body. Uh,,,, helmet laws, seat belt laws, etc. I don't believe it is any business of the federal government one way or another. The individual states should have the say. Be it about abortion, homosexual marriage or whatever. I don't believe in abortion for several reasons. I don't believe God approves and that is who I would have to answer to. The rest of you can take your chances since most of you don't believe in the existance of God.
  27. HCS
    HCS - January 25, 2012 2:08 pm
    You can not use God as in the abortion argument when God himself is the reason for countless millions of deaths through out human history. Time to grow up and use some good, logical, arguments.
  28. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 25, 2012 1:37 pm
    Shanaynay; read the brilliant and perceptive post at 11:44am. You and it can't both be right. Where is it wrong?

It's just not as simple as, “it's all about me so shut up”. If it was, this particular letter would not already have a dozen comments only hours after being posted.

OK, now I’ll shut up. For a while.
  29. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 25, 2012 1:22 pm
    Claiming government can’t tell you what to do is problematic. The Bill of Rights does indeed prevent government from forcing things upon us. But within Constitutional limits our government’s legal system is completely and legitimately free to tell us what we can’t do, including having an abortion. What makes it problematic is that banning abortion in effect forces a woman to have their baby, making banning and forcing a distinction without a difference. It’s not easy, is it?
  30. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 25, 2012 1:17 pm
    I think answering the questions posed have the potential of making this discussion something other than the same old talking points. Extending a “woman’s right to choose” to include an abortion based solely in producing male gender would certainly create an enormous dilemma for some here. How does one square abortion on demand with restricting it in this case? If there is an exception why wouldn’t the line of reasoning used make the entire “woman’s right” thing suspect? Really. I’m asking.
  31. Shanaynay
    Shanaynay - January 25, 2012 12:32 pm
    DEBoyd, last time I checked my body and other people's bodies are not public property, that is what this issue boils down to. No one has a right to tell anyone what they can or can not do to their own body, it is still a personal decision that isn't your business. Please join the same board/club that Darryl is on, Oh I would like to request that you also help the millions of children that ARE here and need their child support, let's start there.
  32. Shanaynay
    Shanaynay - January 25, 2012 12:08 pm
    Darryl and all those on your side, I am going to assume that you personally head a campaign to talk to boys/men to keep it in their pants so that there are no unwanted pregnancies right ? I am also going to ASSume that you also either serve on a board or run the board to help ANY woman who happens to be pregnant and can not afford it ? Don't flap your gums buddy, get involved and I bet 10 million you are not doing a damn thing except flap your jaws and use God for an excuse.
  33. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 25, 2012 11:52 am
    "if a pregnant woman in Maine chooses to terminate her pregnancy, it is none of the business of some yokel in Spring Creek."

I don't buy that right and wrong should have boundries but your point is an excellent argument for an end to Roe v Wade and a return to the States of the right to locally determine abortion policy.
  34. DEBoyd
    DEBoyd - January 25, 2012 11:44 am
    "it should be her decision ..."

The exclusivity/privacy of abortion argument is its weakest. Since only (A) suffers the consequences of (B), (A) should have exclusive authority over (B)? So, since only half the Country pays federal taxes, only that half should decide tax policy? Since only men are jailed for rape (99%), only men should be on rape juries? Since only soldiers die in battle, only soldiers should decide foreign policy? It doesn’t work because it’s never just "only".
  35. Cyndi
    Cyndi - January 25, 2012 10:18 am
    Just because a woman is pro-choice does not mean she will abort a child. I am pro-choice but would never terminate a pregnancy for any reason. Maybe instead of tackling abortion we should take a good look at the major reason behind it UNWANTED pregnancies. First we need to give CORRECT information during sex education and then we need to make birth control available to everyone (this is why I go to planned parenthood and give the full amount for my birth control). Making birth control cont...
  36. highspeed
    highspeed - January 25, 2012 9:17 am
    Dear Darryl, You are one of those religious zealots who has no problem condeming people who have the gall to stand up for a womans right to choose, something we as a people fought for for years. What would you say if I told you I don't believe in your God? I bet you would love to see me lined up and executed along with all of the rest of us non-believers. Would your God cry for us? Or would he cry for you?
  37. PATRIOT II
    PATRIOT II - January 24, 2012 8:27 pm
    You forgot one thing "fifty million people who will have to answer to God" I sure am glad I am not one of them.
  38. elisregina
    elisregina - January 24, 2012 7:45 pm
    Your focus is on the reasons that a pregnant woman chooses to abort. We may all be sympathetic to particular reasons - from rape to the sex of the fetus. Better to focus on who makes the decision - and if a pregnant woman in Maine chooses to terminate her pregnancy, it is none of the business of some yokel in Spring Creek 2,000 miles away, or some judge in Maine - it should be her decision on whether to remain pregnant for the full 9 month term.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Businesses