Looking back at the stories to remember from this week:
1. TALKS HELD ON PARTIAL US GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN, DEFAULT DEADLINE
The president and his aides hold discussions with Republican lawmakers on solutions to the budget stalemate.
2. JANET YELLEN NOMINATED AS NEXT FEDERAL RESERVE CHAIR
If confirmed, she’s expected to stress the need to use the Fed’s tools to boost growth and reduce unemployment in the wake of the Great Recession, rather than worry about igniting inflation.
3. SCOTT CARPENTER, SECOND AMERICAN IN ORBIT, DIES AT AGE 88
Now John Glenn is the last surviving member of the original Mercury 7 astronauts.
4. NOBEL PEACE PRIZE GOES TO CHEMICAL WEAPONS WATCHDOG GROUP
The award to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons comes as its inspectors are in Syria to get rid of the Assad regime’s stockpile amid the bloody civil war.
5. CAMPAIGN FINANCE TAKES PROMINENCE AS SUPREME COURT OPENS SESSION
Arguments gave supporters of stringent regulations little reason for optimism the court will sustain limits enacted 40 years ago after Watergate-era abuses.
6. U.S. FREEZES $1.5 BILLION IN AID TO EGYPT
But Washington holds out restoring it if Cairo makes progress toward free and fair elections, following the political turmoil of recent months.
7. ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS
The new $100 bill is headed to a bank near you. The first redesign of the C-note since 1996 still features Ben Franklin, but also has high-tech features to thwart counterfeiters.
8. WASHINGTON REDSKINS OWNER STANDS FIRM
As a campaign to change the NFL team’s nickname picks up momentum, Dan Snyder said he respects the feelings of those offended but calls the name “a badge of honor.”
9. BASEBALL HAS ITS FINAL FOUR
The Detroit Tigers face the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS and the Los Angeles Dodgers play the St. Louis Cardinals, with the winners advancing to the World Series.
10. KANYE WEST, JIMMY KIMMEL MAKE NICE AFTER FEUD
The rapper appeared on the comedian’s talk show and said that “egos can flare up, and we kind of took it back to high school.”