Subscribe for 33¢ / day
DMV logo

ELKO — While Department of Motor Vehicle offices in Las Vegas were flooded with people hoping to get new driving authorization cards, the Elko office didn’t see any crowds.

The new cards gives driving privileges to immigrants who are living in the country without legal permission.

As of about 3 p.m. Thursday, the Elko office issued four authorization cards and turned away about 12 applicants who didn’t have all the correct documentation, according to Donna Fogleman, DMV field services division supervisor.

Some residents came into the office to get more information about the card, Fogleman said, but staff members weren’t tallying how many people visited for information only.

Fogleman said she expects more people from the area will apply for driving authorization cards as information about the cards becomes more known.

Residents must have proof of identity and proof of residency. If any documents are in a foreign language, they need to be translated by a DMV-authorized translator.

Fogleman said she helped a couple Thursday who had their documents translated in Carson City.

The DMV’s website lists one translator based out of the Elko area, Maria Griselda Pina De Campa. Her contact information is included online.

Fogleman said people living at some rural households who don’t receive gas or phone bills, which are typically used to prove residency, must have a document filled out by the property owner.

“If they, for example, live and work on a ranch, they’re not going to have any proof of residency, so … the property owner would have to do an affidavit,” Fogleman said. The patron also has to fill out a certified residency form, she added.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

A detailed list of requirements in English and Spanish is available online at

Fogleman said the authorization cards are new and the office is still trying to familiarize itself with the requirements.

“It’s trial and error. We’re all trying to learn,” she said.


Load comments