ELKO – A woman was arrested Friday for allegedly exposing her child to drugs and paraphernalia after she called for medical help.
According to the criminal complaint, Jamie S. Chavez, 33, of Elko was in a hotel room with her son when officers from the fire and police department arrived on the scene.
“As I entered the room I spoke with firefighters on scene,” said Elko Police Sgt. Michael O’Farrell. “They advised me that Jamie admitted to them that she had ingested methamphetamine approximately 10 minutes before calling for medical help.”
The officer also noticed marijuana on the dresser and a large knife with the blade open within reach of the child. Xanax without a prescription and a homemade water bong were found in the bathroom. Four hypodermic devices were sitting on top of a bag also accessible by the child.
Chavez was arrested for child abuse or neglect. Bail was listed at $100,000.