Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Motor home fire

Craig McClain walks in front of his burning motor home Monday night in Kittridge Canyon.

Matt Unrau/Elko Daily Free Press

ELKO — Fire crews responded to a motor home fire on Lupine Road on the northeastern outskirts of Elko on Monday night.

Resident Craig McClain lived in the RV for seven years, he said. He and his dog, a 7-month-old sheep dog named Rusty, were uninjured in the fire.

“It absolutely caught on fire and burned. It was my home. ... I’m just glad my dog got out,” McClain said. “I went to the back window, (yelling) ‘Rusty. Rusty.’ There was just black smoke (pouring out). I turned around and there she was. She’s smart. Hallelujah.”

Crews from the Nevada Division of Forestry, Lee Engine Company and Elko Fire Department all responded to the fire.

NDF Battalion Chief Jim Urresti said the fire was knocked down in 15 minutes after it spread to an eighth of an acre of wildland around the motor home.

The fire was mechanical and started in a rotted gas line, the NDF said. The RV was completely destroyed in the fire.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

“I pulled the hood up and bam. ... It was just gone. I tried to put a blanket over it to smother it, but it was just gone,” McClain said. “I’m just glad my dog got out.”

The Red Cross provided assistance for McClain on the scene.

McClain said he had been living in Elko for the last two years and is a self-described prospector, collecting various artificats which he said were in the RV with all the rest of his personal belongings.

“There were dinosaur bones, jewels and all types of stuff I’ve collected. But, that’s life. The only thing I worry about is my medication. Everything else I said ‘screw it,’” he said. “I’ll survive. I guess it’s time to start over.”

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments