CLEVELAND — Duke Johnson got his wish, and the Browns got more than expected for him.
Cleveland traded the disgruntled running back to the Houston Texans on Thursday for an undisclosed 2020 draft pick. Teams did not disclose details, but a person familiar with the deal said the Browns are getting a fourth-round pick that can become a third-rounder.
One of the NFL’s most versatile backs during his four seasons, the 5-foot-9, 210-pound Johnson had grown unhappy with his role and asked to be traded earlier this year after the Browns signed suspended free agent running back Kareem Hunt, who will sit out the season’s first eight games. Johnson ran for 1,286 yards, caught 235 passes for 2,170 and scored 13 touchdowns for the Browns.
Browns general manager John Dorsey had been adamant he wasn’t going to “give away” the 25-year-old Johnson, and he resisted several offers before striking a deal with the Texans.
Houston was looking for a proven backup to play behind starter Lamar Miller. The Texans released D’Onta Foreman earlier this week.
With Johnson gone and Hunt out until November due to an NFL suspension for two violent incidents, second-year back Nick Chubb will get the majority of carries.
Johnson’s trade removes a possible distraction for Freddie Kitchens in his first year as coach. Johnson’s status was an ongoing drama, and the back’s hard stance didn’t sit well with several teammates, including quarterback Baker Mayfield, who called him out publicly and said he hoped Johnson could “do his job.”
Bosa’s ankle injury “serious”
Nick Bosa’s debut in a 49ers uniform is on hold until the regular season, and uncertainty now looms whether the rookie defensive end will be healthy for the Sept. 8 opener at Tampa Bay.
“We’re hoping for Week 1. We think he has a good chance for it but can’t guarantee that,” coach Kyle Shanahan told KNBR 680-AM before Thursday’s practice in Santa Clara, California.
Shanahan termed it a “serious” ankle injury that could have been worse, adding that the team’s initial reaction was of a potential season ender for Bosa.
“We’re going to be very prudent,” general manager John Lynch said earlier on KNBR. “The great thing I can tell you about Nick Bosa, is he’s been dominating practice out here on a daily basis.
“He’s a game-changing type player, everything we hoped and expected and we have to get him right for this season.”
Bosa, drafted No. 2 overall in April, will miss the exhibition season after going down in Wednesday’s practice, according to Lynch, who stopped short of calling it a “full-blown” high-ankle sprain which usually takes at least four to six weeks to recover.
The 49ers were to conduct follow-up tests Thursday and Bosa’s progress will be closely monitored leading the next month.
Dee Ford, the 49ers other marquee addition to their pass rush, has missed the past week of practice because of knee tendinitis that acted up in the fourth practice of camp.
Raiders’ Jackson carted off
The Oakland Raiders are concerned about the status of starting right guard Gabe Jackson after he injured his leg in a joint practice with the Los Angeles Rams in Napa, California.
Jackson went down early in the session Thursday when someone rolled into his leg. He was then taken off the field on a cart and owner Mark Davis went into the locker room shortly after that for almost 15 minutes.
Coach Jon Gruden said after practice that he didn’t want to speculate on the extent of the injury but acknowledged he is “really concerned.”
Cowboys’ Quinn suspended
Dallas Cowboys defensive end Robert Quinn has been suspended for the first two games of the regular season for violating the NFL’s ban on performance enhancers.
Quinn was acquired in a trade with Miami in the offseason. The league said the ninth-year player is eligible to practice and play in preseason games, but he is out until the regular season after breaking his left hand in practice at training camp.
The 29-year-old Quinn will be eligible to return in Week 3 at home against the Dolphins.
Chiefs add Claiborne
The Kansas City Chiefs agreed to terms with cornerback Morris Claiborne on a one-year deal worth $3 million plus incentives to fortify a thin and unproven backfield, a source said.
The former sixth-overall pick of the Cowboys in 2012, he has been suspended the first four games of the season for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. That means the earliest he could play is Week 5 against the Colts, giving him plenty of time to learn defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo’s system.
Dolphins sign Nkemdiche
Defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche signed with the Miami Dolphins two weeks after the Arizona Cardinals released their 2016 first-round draft pick.
Nkemdiche is still recovering from ACL surgery last December, and the Dolphins placed him on the active/physically unable to perform list Thursday.
He played in 27 games in three injury-plagued seasons with the Cardinals. Last year he started six games and had 4½ sacks.